Monday, June 17, 2013

2nd City Post #2

I feel like there is so much to tell you, but so little time. After being gone from the hotel room for 11 1/2 hours, I finally returned to sit down and work on the blog. I picked up a couple of used CDs from the Chicago record store (I'm a music fiend) and now I can listen to them and work on the day's reflections. This morning during orientation we learned that there were folks from NYC, Montana, Australia, London, Oregon, Connecticut, New Jersey, Chicago, Georgia, Alabama (yay! ME), Pennsylvania, California, Massachusetts and Indiana. There were only about 25 or so people in the room. All of these folks were here to study at the same place as I. There are so many levels of training at 2nd City and we are on the 'kindergarten' level. Many of the exercises we did in my morning improvisation class I have actually already done with my classes. But they were much different considering I was working in a class with 9 other students and everyone REALLY wanted to be there. That's much different than working in a class with 33 high schoolers, 3/4 of which might not want to be there (or in school at all). We took our time with the exercises and they were rewarding. I won't go into details, but we played a lot of actor type games and we laughed and smiled and started to get to know one another, albeit in an artistic light.

Sorry, I am having trouble rotating that picture, but I'll figure it out in due course. I'm new to this blogging thing. This is a picture of some of 2nd City's great alumni including Steve Carrell, Chris Farley, Eugene Levy, Tina Fey, Mike Meyers, Martin Short, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, Tim Meadows, Bill Murray, Stephen Colbert, that lady and that guy from Cheers (can't remember their names), and more.

After lunch we began the comedy sketch writing immersion class and I have homework to do so I won't write about it too much. But I will tell you that it was very invigorating and I was glad to be using my little iPad keyboard while I was writing my timed scenarios. After the comedy sketch writing I took off down south to the Loop and their free concerts in Millenium Park. Below are some pics. It began to rain, just a little and I booked it to the CTA and the safe refuge of my hotel room. By the time I came up from underground it was raining pretty hard and I was glad I came on home.

 
 

It's odd having to ask complete strangers to take your picture, but it makes me happy when I see the finished result on my little blog. The next picture is what really takes me breathe away. If you are not familiar with it, then I beg you to look up the album Yankee Foxtrot Hotel by Wilco. One of the great albums of our generation and as I was taking pictures of the skyscrapers I noticed that this exact shot, or one very similar, is the same picture on that classic American Rock Band album cover. Wilco is one of the greatest bands in the world and they hail from Chicago. Their music is a mix of country, alternative rock, folk and Americana. Jeff Tweedy is their singer and his voice radiates the pain in many people's hearts across America. I'm so proud of this picture..........

 

No comments:

Post a Comment