Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Second City Day #2

The second day of work at my immersion classes at Second City was incredible. Although it surprises me that I am actually preferring the comedy sketch writing class to the improvisation, they are both very rewarding. I think that I am enjoying the writing class more because it contains many more activities that I am unfamiliar with whereas the improvisation class we are completing many exercises that I have already led with my students. What I'm learning though from the improv class is that I have not been patient enough to allow the exercises really generate what they were intended to generate from the students. This is the difference between trying to learn from a book (or online) and actually learning from a professional that is in the room with you. Both instructors are full of energy and seemed versed in their disciplines. One of the young ladies in class with me study at LAMDA and has worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company in London and also has a series coming out in September on Comedy Central U.K. in which she is a featured actress. There is another young lady in the writing class that studies at Yale. The students are from all different backgrounds but all have the common desire to learn more about acting, comedy and truth in the theatre. The improvisation class is allowing me to work as a member of the ensemble, as opposed to the leader (teacher during classes) and that is helping free me up immensely. We also are really allowing the exercises to develop and then we are given time to reflect on our experiences in the exercises. The writing class has allowed me to really focus on different writing techniques to get students writing. By giving students a specific amount of time to write (5 or 7 minutes), we are forced to work within a short amount of time and simply produce something. It doesn't really matter if it is that strong, or if it works, just that we do it. The writing teacher explained that writing is liking exercising. You wouldn't just go out and run a 10K if you weren't training for it. Your body would shut down and you might not make it, or you may finish but end up suffering for that experience for weeks to come. It is the same in writing. You can't just sit down and write a novel, or a play for that matter. You must practice religiously in order to prepare for the big event. If you make time in your day (just like someone who goes to the gym 4 times a week or more) for writing, then eventually it will become part of your day and you will get better.

After class I took a ride across town to the highly recommended use book store, Myopic Books. It was a great find for a theatre teacher. There I was able to load up on plays and teacher resources for next school year. All of their books were gently used which made them quite affordable. Following my book store venture I ate at a lovely restaurant called Francesca's Forno where I took this picture.

I was positioned right by the window were three roads converged and it was great 'people watching'. Observation is one of the most important tools for an actor and I have been able to really soak up human behavior during my stay in Chicago. It is so much different than the suburbs. People are everywhere, all the time, from all different backgrounds. I saw a couple walking their large dog and the dog just kept jumping all over the lady from behind. She was laughing and the man holding the dog's leash was laughing even harder. I saw a man jogging, standing on the triangle shaped median, and he was clearly a boxer, you could tell by the way he moved his feet. I saw a man walking with a large bouquet of flowers.

I was also able to sit and enjoy my food and enjoy the sights. I also really tried to take my time eating, I have a tendency to rush when I eat, and it was nice to not be done with my meal in 3 minutes. I made special effort to enjoy every bite, take breaks and watch the hoards of people passing by, and then continue eating.

After my dinner I attend Second City's production entitled What the Tour Guide Didn't Tell You: A Chicago Revue, which was filled with jokes about Chicago and people, events, places and attitudes throughout the city. It was also spiced up with improvisation that was informed by the audience members. The final part of the show is entirely improv and they really knocked it out of the park. There were several scenes where I was crying. I sat with 3 other classmates from my immersion writing class. We all could not get over how quick-witted each member was and how brilliantly the cast performed. I'm looking forward to my third day of class tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment