Sunday, June 30, 2013

Going home

Today is Sunday, June 30th. I am so excited to get back to my family. I've been gone for 14 complete days, and I'm sitting in the tiny airport in Lincoln, Nebraska. I am actually flying back through Chicago in order to get home.

After this entire trip I have seen over 40 hours worth of theatre in 17+ productions. I've also been a part of over 50 hours worth of workshops on everything from teaching, improv, writing to the use of Indian dance terms in the creation of a character.

I've never in my life seen this much theatre in such a short period of time. I was rather inundated with musicals this last week at the International Thespian Festival, and although I haven't been much of a fan of that genre, I've found myself really getting engaged with the musical again. I haven't really enjoyed them since the age of 16-18 yrs. old (20 yrs. ago) and it was nice to get great exposure to them this week. The musicals and the comedy I have seen really help remind me that life doesn't need to be taken so seriously. The dramas I have seen helped remind me that a powerful onstage drama can really affect someone's thought processes and initiate change in society.

The workshops have given me more information in two weeks than I could have gained in weeks of professional development at the local level. I have studied with people from all over the world, from all walks of life.

The work involved in the fellowship has been grueling and at times overwhelming, but I could have never asked for a better way to spend two weeks of my summer. I will continue to seek out grants from Fund For Teachers, as well as many other avenues that will allow me to study in the summer. The rewards are limitless and will pay dividends to the students I teach for years to come. Although my body is exhausted and my mind is crammed with information that will take weeks to sort out, I am rejuvenated and refreshed and excited to share my experiences with my students.

I am also very glad I have completed this blog throughout my trip. It made for some late nights when I might have preferred going to bed, but I now have a permanent document to refer back to anytime I want to reflect on my adventure. It also serves as a teaching tool and will help show my students all the things that are offered at the Thespian Festival. Next year I hope to at least bring 2-3 students to Nebraska. I am signing off now and I thank you for following along on my two week adventure to Chicago and Lincoln, Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment